Andrea L. MacIverAssociate Boston email@example.com 617 226-3402 617 305-0602
- Stonehill College, BA in Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, 2008
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude & Order of the Coif, 2011
Andrea’s practice concentrates on complex business litigation with a focus on resolving employment, securities, contract and fiduciary duty disputes. She represents businesses and individuals from all sectors and throughout all phases of the litigation process, from investigation through trial. She has tried and arbitrated cases in Massachusetts, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Utah.
Prior to joining Murphy & King, Andrea served as an Appellate Judicial Clerk for the Honorable Nathaniel R. Howse, Jr. of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District in Chicago. Prior to her clerkship, Andrea practiced as an associate in Chicago where she litigated a broad array of disputes, including medical malpractice and foster care negligence. While in law school, Andrea served as the Editor of Articles, Notes, and Comments for the DePaul Law Review.
- Obtained award (including attorneys’ fees) in favor of a female financial advisor on retaliation and gender discrimination claims against a global multi-billion dollar financial services firm in a seven-day arbitration in Boston (second chair)
- Obtained jury verdict of no liability in favor of four directors in a lawsuit claiming $22 million in damages due to alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy in a two-week trial in Salt Lake City (second chair)
- Represented national senior care franchisor in suit to enforce non-compete obligations against former franchisees. Suit settled via entry of consent order and stipulated payment of attorneys’ fees and unpaid royalties following preliminary injunction hearing (second chair)
- Obtained an $8.7 million jury verdict in Pennsylvania federal court (second chair) against an Erie County Pennsylvania foster care division on behalf of a foster child who was sexually abused by an older foster child that had been placed in his home
- Obtained a $3.75 million settlement in Illinois state court (second chair) on behalf of an 87-year old woman who was stabbed by a foster child placed in her home by a private foster care company
- Represented over 300 clients in an action against a municipality in Illinois involving water contamination
- Andrea MacIver, Shoot Now, Ask Questions Later: How Technology-Based Startups Draftkings and FanDuel Are Changing the Way We Do Business, 35 Quinnipiac L. Rev. 217, (2017).
- Andrea MacIver, Out With the New and in With the Old: Why the Illinois supreme court went too far in Kirk v. Michael Reese Hospital and not far enough in Renslow v. Mennonite Hospital on the issue of duties owed to third-party non-patients in medical malpractice cases, 36 N. Illinois L. Rev. 1 (Spring 2016).
- Andrea MacIver & Daniel Pollack, Ministerial vs. Discretionary Acts or Omissions in Child Welfare Cases, 44 Cap. U. L. Rev. 103 (Spring 2016).
- Andrea MacIver & Daniel Pollack, Understanding Sexual Grooming in Child Abuse Cases, ABA Child Law Practice, Vol. 34 No. 11 (November 2015).
- Andrea MacIver, The Clash Between Science and the Law: Can Science Save 19-Year-Old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s Life?, 35 N. Illinois L. Rev 1 (Fall 2014).
- Andrea MacIver, Daniel Pollack & Karen Greenberg, A National Responsible Father Registry: Providing Constitutional Protections for Children, Mothers and Fathers, Whittier J. Children & Family Advocacy (Summer 2014).
- Andrea MacIver & Jay Paul Deratany, Real Tort Reform: Mandated Malpractice Insurance Coverage for Hospitals and Doctors, Trial Journal (December 2014).
- Andrea MacIver & Jay Paul Deratany, Liability Coverage Laid Bar: Hospitals and Doctors Should be Required to Carry Insurance, Chicago Tribune (May 5, 2013).
- Andrea MacIver, Suicide Causation Experts in Teen Wrongful Death Claims: Will they Assist the Trier of Fact?, 45 J. Marshall L. Rev. 51 (Fall 2011).